Islington’s first Methodist church opened in 1844 on land donated by Amasa Wilcox, east of Islington Burying Grounds, at 4946 Dundas Street West. It was a simple roughcast stucco over frame building with seating for 200 parishoners. In 1887, the congregation’s second church of brick opened on the south side of Dundas, east of Cordova. The following year, immediately east of the new church, a red brick manse was built, which was occupied by a succession of ministers until the 1940s. This former manse still stands at 4879-4881 Dundas Street West, home today to First Nail Salon and Victor & Roberto’s Hair Design.
Islington Methodist Church became Islington United Church in 1925. In 1949, the congregation moved into their current church at 25 Burnhamthorpe Road, built of stone in a modern Gothic style.
After the congregation moved in 1887, they sold the 1844 church to Etobicoke Township for $700 for use as the Township Hall and the first public library. The Township covered the building in brick veneer and added brick buttresses. In 1946, the building was enlarged and the current neoclassical facade was added to the front. After Etobicoke’s council moved to the new Civic Centre on The West Mall in 1957, the building became the headquarters for the Etobicoke Division of the Metropolitan Toronto Police. Stone inserts reading “Etobicoke Municipal Offices” and “Police” still exist on the front and east side of the building. It has been home to the Fox & Fiddle Restaurant at 4946 Dundas since 2000.