For over 200 years now, the development of roads and transportation has continued to have an impact on the history of Islington Village. While proximity to Mimico Creek was one factor in attracting settlers to the Islington area, of much greater importance were Dundas Street and its role in connecting York (now Toronto) with all of southwestern Ontario. This road was cut through the forest by Simcoe’s Queen’s Rangers in 1793 to serve both as a military route in case of war with the U.S. and to open up the land along its route to settlement.
Today Dundas W. between Montgomery Road and Kipling Avenue is the location of the Village of Islington Business Improvement Area (BIA). Official boundary map.