Other important early settlers in Islington were Amasa and Desdemona Wilcox, who arrived from New York State with their family about 1815. In 1816 they leased the Clergy Reserve lot immediately north of the Johnstons, which straddled Dundas between Mabelle and Islington Avenues. Around 1820, Amasa built a saw mill on Mimico Creek, half a mile north of Dundas, in what is now Islington Golf Course, operating it with his second son, Friend. About 1830, Amasa’s eldest son, Truman, built the first general store in Islington on the north side of Dundas, between Burnhamthorpe Crescent and Mimico Creek, where Second Cup is today. Amasa moved to Oxford County in 1839, but he retained ownership of land in Islington until his death in 1870 and generously donated adjacent lots on Dundas, west of Burnhamthorpe, for the village’s first three key institutions: a school in 1832, a Methodist church in 1834, and a non-sectarian cemetery ca. 1844.