George and Mary Johnston were the first permanent settlers in Islington. They made the arduous journey from Pennsylvania to Upper Canada in 1798, and around 1808 settled in Islington. Initially, they lived with their nine children in a log cabin they built on a 100-acre Clergy Reserve lot, which straddled Dundas between Kipling Avenue and approximately where Mabelle Avenue is today. Three of their sons, Thomas, Henry, and William, served in the 3rd York Militia during the War of 1812 and survived unscathed. In 1815, the Johnstons purchased an another 100-acre lot on the west side of Kipling Avenue, between Bloor Street and Burnhamthorpe Road, and moved into a new stucco-over-frame house they built at the north end of the property. Eventually six generations of Johnstons lived on and farmed the Kipling property, with the last piece of their land sold out of the family in 1985. Four heritage Johnston houses, built between 1862 and 1903, still stand in Islington at 1056, 1078 and 1100 Kipling Avenue and 66 Burnhamthorpe Road.